JUMP TO RECIPE
Making coconut milk at home from scratch is very rewarding. Even if you’re not too concerned about the health aspect, the flavor of true homemade coconut milk is like no other, and it’s well worth taking the time and effort to learn how to make it at home.
Who Can Drink Homemade Coconut Milk?
This Homemade Coconut Milk is Raw, Vegan, Paleo-Friendly, Whole30, and Dairy and Nut-Free. Making coconut milk means you have more control over the ingredients added.
Why Should I Make Homemade Coconut Milk?
With so much milk available on the market today, both dairy and dairy-free, it can get a bit confusing which to choose.
On a nutritional level, coconuts are low in sodium and cholesterol, naturally gluten-free, and high in fiber and good fats.
Coconuts Are High In Fat
There’s no doubt that coconuts contain a high amount of fats. However, they are plant-based saturated fats, which break down easily and convert into energy, not necessarily stored as fat.
These healthy fats also boost the function of the endocrine system and thyroid function to speed up your metabolism and enhance the secretion of insulin to regulate blood sugar.
Homemade vs. Canned Or Boxed Coconut Milk
As previously mentioned in my article on making Homemade Almond Milk and why I choose to make homemade almond milk over simply buying a store-bought version, coconut milk is the same.
Cut Out The Non-essential Ingredients
Canned coconut milk contains stabilizers, sweeteners, and thickening agents. Once you’ve learned how to make coconut milk, you’ll be eliminating this unnecessary add-in, and bring you one step closer to eating a whole food diet, the ultimate goal.
An ingredient like Polysorbate 80 that stabilizes separating liquids decreases beneficial bacteria in your gut. Pathogenic gut bacteria also feed on polysorbate 80, which leads to increased gut inflammation and risk of weight gain.
Sometimes carboxymethylcellulose is listed on ingredient labels as cellulose gum or CMC. It’s another common emulsifier damaging your gut.
It’s also sometimes used as a thickening agent. Unlike polysorbate 80, which harms your gut over time, carboxymethylcellulose causes gut inflammation immediately by messing with gene expression in your gut bacteria. Gut bacteria exposed to carboxymethylcellulose overproduce flagellin, a gut-irritating protein.
Buying A Whole Coconut
Most coconuts you buy at the store have the outermost layer removed already. This is the fibrous husk, leaving you with a hard-shelled ‘nut’ that fits in your hand.
Selecting the correct coconut is an important measure to ensure the flesh inside is ripe but not too old and dried out. Select a ripe coconut by holding it up to your ear and gently shaking it; if you hear the liquid inside, you’ve got a winner.
1/2 a Cup
276 per serving
- Calories: 276 Calories
- Protein: 3g
- Fat: 29g
- Carbs: 7g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 4g
- 316 milligrams of potassium
- 18 milligrams of sodium
- 44 milligrams of magnesium
- 2 milligrams of iron
Amounts per serving:
1 serving is half a cup of milk
- Protein 3g 6.5% 6.5%
- Carbohydrates 7g 15% 15%
- of Which Sugar is 4g 9% 9%
- Fiber 3g 6,5% 6,5%
- Fat 29g 63% 63%
Coconut Milk Uses
Once you’ve made this delicious coconut milk, you can check out my post on How to Cook With Coconut Milk. This versatile milk, when combined with different and unusual ingredients, yields greatly different flavors. From creamy pasta dishes to cheesy sauces, there’s something for everyone.
What Do You Do With The Coconut Water?
Store the drained coconut water in the fridge and drink once chilled. Coconut water has huge benefits and contains loads of electrolytes. Interestingly enough, It is so similar to human plasma that in an emergency could be used intravenously (1)
Coconut Milk From Scratch. The Recipe
- sharp knife
- kitchen towel
- medium bowl
- Large cup
- Muslin cloth or Nut bag.
- 1 Large Coconut
- 3 Cups Water. Hot water is preferred over cold to produce richer coconut milk that had a higher coconut oil content.
- Prepare The CoconutRemove as much hair off of the coconut as possible
- Locate The EyesFind the 3 soft 'eyes' of the coconut.
- Drill HolesPierce the soft eyes of the coconut with a butter knife. You will need to pierce two holes (there are 3 in total) for proper drainage.
- Remove LiquidTurn the coconut upside down and drain the coconut water into a cup.
- Give it a Bash.cover the coconut in a kitchen towel and gently knock it against a hard surface. In the knocking action, we will be loosening the coconut flesh from its hard shell layer. This makes our job a little easier in the next step.
- Crack It OpenAfter knocking a few times, start using a bit more force and crack the shell open. Break the coconut up into a few pieces.
- Separate Flesh From ShellThe hardest and most injury-prone step is prying the coconut meat away from its shell, so be careful! With a butter knife, pry the coconut meat from its shell.
- Blend With WaterPlace the coconut flesh in a blender and add one cup of hot water at a time, blending in between.
- Once the coconut and water mixture forms a smooth and creamy slurry, the mixture is ready to sieve (about 3 or 4 cups of water).
- Sieve Through BagPour the coconut mixture through a muslin bag or nut milk bag into a bowl. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible, and transfer the coconut milk to the refrigerator.
- Store in Fridge or FreezerHomemade coconut milk will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge. freeze the milk in ice trays and use coconut milk blocks as needed. Store this way for up to 2 months!
How Do I Store Homemade Coconut Milk?
Homemade coconut milk will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge. Without preservatives, fresh coconut milk lacks the shelf life of the canned or boxed stuff. Alternatively, freeze the milk in ice trays and use coconut milk blocks as needed. Store this way for up to 2 months!
How To Use The Leftover Coconut Pulp
Do not discard the ‘pulp’ remains in the muslin bag, instead create one of my 5 Best Homemade Body Scrub Recipes by combining the coconut flakes with sugar and various spices to create a magical Coconut Chai Body Scrub.