JUMP TO RECIPE
Is detox water truly supplying a slew of health benefits? It’s a topic that’s gotten a lot of attention. Is it the water itself that is so beneficial?
1. What Are Detox Waters?
Chopped up pieces of fruit, vegetables, or herbs are put into water for a certain amount of time to let the flavors come out of the ingredients and into the water.
People think that the flavors and health benefits of the ingredients you add to the water will come through without adding any extra calories.
2. Health Benefits of Detox Water
Most of the health claims about detox water come from the water itself, not from the ingredients added to it. It’s a fact that drinking detox (or even plain) water helps:
- Prevent and treat bloating.
- Prevent and treat constipation (3).
- Prevents muscle fatigue by regulating electrolytes.
- Regulate body temperature.
- Boost your energy.
- Suppress your appetite.
- Improve digestion.
- Lift your mood (2).
- Treat and prevent headaches.
Some of the ingredients in detox waters are healthy on their own, especially when eaten in their whole form. To get the full benefits of these ingredients and cut down on waste, you could blend the leftovers with water, yogurt, and even vegetables to make healthy smoothies that taste great.
3. Cucumber and Lemon Detox Water Recipe
- 1 whole Lemon Remove rind to decrease bitterness
- 5 Slices Cucumber Keep the skin on for added benefits
- Make sure all your ingredients are clean by giving them a rinse.
- Cut up the fruit, vegetables, and herbs you've chosen.
- Put your ingredients in a jug or water bottle in layers and cover them with clean drinking water.
- Let the water sit in the fridge for one to twelve hours to get the most flavor.
4. Detox Water for Belly Fat
Detox water won’t burn belly fat right away, but it will indirectly help you lose belly fat in the following ways:
- You’ll drink fewer calories. Drinking water usually means you’re drinking less calorie-dense drinks like sodas and fruit juice.
- You’ll eat fewer calories. The body often mistakes thirst for hunger. Staying hydrated makes you feel fuller and makes you eat fewer calories (4) (6)
- You’ll have more frequent bowel movements. If you stay hydrated, your digestive system works better and gets rid of waste faster.
- You’ll look slimmer because you’ll be less bloated.
5. Detox Water for Skin
There’s no hard evidence that drinking water will make a difference in the skin (1). Many people have said that drinking more water has made their skin clearer or brighter. If your skin is majorly dehydrated, it’ll be dry, tight, and itchy. If your body’s dehydrated and you have dehydrated skin, drinking water will definitely help.
A few of the ingredients used to make detox waters are proven to be beneficial for your skin. One such ingredient is Vitamin C. Lemon-infused water is loaded with vitamin C and should be included in your daily drinking routine.
If you’re in need of boosting the radiance of your skin, try the 5 Homemade Body Scrubs. They’re specially formulated to help increase circulation and treat dry skin.
6. Which Detox Water Is Best?
The best detox water depends on your reason for needing it in the first place. Research shows that apple cider vinegar and lemon water detox drinks are the most beneficial.
7. Best Time to Drink Detox Water
Water should always be the first thing you drink in the morning, before you eat or drink anything else. You can also drink small amounts of water all day to make sure you reach your daily water drinking goal.
While you sleep, your body cleanses itself. So, drink water before bed to make sure all of your organs are well hydrated and your kidneys are working well.
8. Detox Water for Bloating
It’s important to stay hydrated for good digestive health and regular bowel movements. Constipation, which can make you feel bloated and slow, can be caused by being dehydrated for a long time. Water, whether it’s detox water or just plain water, can really help with bloating.
Digestive issues start as something small like constipation or reflux, but can end up being very serious if untreated. If you’re suffering from acid reflux or have a hiatus hernia, check out my post on how to start healing.
9. How To Prepare Detox Water
You prepare detox water by cutting up washed fruit, vegetables, and herbs into small pieces and adding them to a jug of clean or filtered drinking water. Let the mixture sit for a while so that the flavors can come out of the ingredients and into the water.
The more of an ingredient you use, the stronger the flavor will become. You can put the detox water in the fridge for 1 to 12 hours to let the flavors combine better, but make sure to take out the ingredients after this time. If not, they will change it and make the water too bitter.
10. How Much Detox Water Should I Drink in a Day?
How much detox water you drink in a day depends on a lot of things. How much do you weigh? How hot and/or humid is it? How much physical activity did you have today? Have you eaten a lot of salt or other foods or drinks that make you lose water?
Most of the time, it’s best to drink 30ml per kg of body weight. (Alternatively, for every pound you weigh, drink half an ounce of water.)
I, for one, don’t drink enough water. Even though I know all of this, I still don’t drink enough. I don’t really feel thirsty during the day, and I don’t particularly like how water tastes. I need to be consciously aware of drinking water for it to happen. The problem with this is that you won’t know you’re thirsty until it’s too late.
There are many health benefits of drinking the right amount of water every day. The benefits to digestion stand out as the most important.
11. Does Detox Water Really Work?
Detox waters are a great way to get people to drink more water because the extra ingredients make drinking water more fun.
Most of the health claims about detox water come from the water itself, not from the ingredients added to it. Some of these ingredients are healthy on their own, especially when eaten in their whole form.
Most of the nutrients in these foods are lost when they are added to water. To get the benefits of these ingredients and cut down on waste, you could blend the leftovers with water, yogurt, and even vegetables to make healthy smoothies that taste great.